Winter 2010 Thunder Beach Newsletter
ello fellow Thunder Beachers – well the Thunder Beach Association has officially launched into the 21st Century internet age. We have purchased a prime piece of real estate on the World Wide Web located at the swank address of http://thunderbeach.org.
People who visit the site can register for their membership; sign up for social events and activities; visit the photo gallery; read current TBA news articles and receive updates by email.
There is an ‘Instructional Video’ that will walk you through the following:
- How to renew your membership;
- How to sign up for activities and social events;
- submitting your roster information;
- and making your purchase with PayPal or by credit card.
The Executive would like to thank Mark Macdonald
for his volunteer efforts and hard work in designing, developing and maintaining the website. The site is quite impressive and very user-friendly.
Despite “Wiarton Willie’ seeing his shadow last week, there are only 6 short weeks left of winter. Before you know it, the Victoria Day long weekend will be here kicking off the official start to summer!
The Executive would like to hear from you so that we can continually improve our association.
I look forward to another great summer 2010 and serving as your President.
Renew Your TBA Membership Online
Launching the TBA Website...
We are very pleased to announce the launch of the official website of the Thunder Beach Association. This website will enable a timelier, cost-effective and “greener” way of communicating with our members throughout the year. You will also be able to renew your membership, register for events and update your membership information all online.
Many Thanks to Mark Macdonald for all of his excellent work in creating the website! He has created a very visually appealing, user-friendly website that will extend our sense of community throughout the year.
Just a couple of things to point out...
- We hope that you will take advantage of the ability to renew your membership and register for events online. Secure payment options include Paypal (no fees on your end) or using your credit card.
- You also have the option to become a “subscriber”. With this feature, you will automatically receive email updates of any new information posted on the website (e.g. newsletters).
- When you renew online, you will then be identified as an “online member” and receive all future communications electronically. This will significantly reduce our costs related to the printing and mailing of the newsletters and other forms usually mailed throughout the year (not to mention the time spent in stuffing envelopes for each mailing!)
- The website also enables you to “Contact Us” - where you can forward emails with questions or feedback.
- We will continue to mail out the Membership Rosters in June.
- The website also features a step by step guide to renewing your membership.
Not quite ready to go online? Hard copies of all forms are included here for your use.
We are very excited to provide this online service and hope you will take full advantage of the features provided. We are curiously looking forward to seeing how many decide to take the plunge...and take the online route!
New Event this Summer
Please mark Sunday, July 18th, 2010 on your calendar.
A new social event for this summer will be an Art Show, hosted by The Carriage House Gallery - Claustro Studios. www.claustro.ca - to showcase the works of professional award winning artists from oil, acrylic, cravings, thread works and more.
All are welcome to attend, browse amongst the works, listen to some live acoustic music and enjoyed some wine and cheese while meeting the artists.
Our line-up of artists include:
- Claustro, Carol Currie, and Stuart Leggett, Midland, ON
- Marlene Bulas, Orillia, ON
- Rod Prouse, Tiny Township, ON
- Jamie MacLean, Toronto, ON
- Donald Pettit, Tiny Township, ON
TBA 2010 Event Dates - Join Us!
- Lobsterfest / July Field day - July 3
- August dinner / August Field day - August 7
- Golf - August 21
- Volleyball Tournament - July 17
- Thunder Run - August 1st
- Art Show / Wine & Cheese - July 18th
- Tennis: Men’s Doubles - July 24, Women’s Doubles - July 31 Mixed Doubles - August 14
Golf Tournament News
A total of 76 avid golfers came out to enjoy a perfect day on the link at Midland Club and Country Club for the annual TBA tournament.
After 18 holes, a happy but exhausted group reconvened at the clubhouse for a sumptuous steak dinner catered by Lafontaine’s finest chef, Larry Lalonde. The 92 dinner guests were not disappointed. Later, the live band featuring Karla Crawford provided the entertainment.
A special thanks to our beer sponsor, Tom Smellie and the Hockley Valley Brewing Company who’s Georgian Bay Dipper was a splash hit! I would also like to thank all those who volunteered to make the event a success, in particular, Sara Lankshear, Tom MacDonald, Mark Northcott, Paul Northcott, Trudy Richards and Diane Robinson as well as all those who sponsored a hole and donated prizes.
We had 24 hole sponsors which included:
- Gail Bradley - Re/Max Georgian Bay Realty Ltd. Brokerage
- Fred Burton - Portfolio Management Corporation
- The Carriage House Gallery - Stu Leggett & Carole Currie
- Sabin Charlebois - Charlebois Excavating & Trucking
- Robbie Evans - La Range
- Paul Lenneard - Donway Ford
- Paul MacDonald - McMillan LLP
- Tom MacDonald - Goodmans LLP
- Christine & Al Magee - Sleep Country
- Bruce Mann - Henderson Transportation
- TimBr Mart
- John McCarthy - Will Barristers
- Todd McCarthy - Flaherty Dow Elliott & McCarthy
- Jeanne McIsaac - Re/Max Georgian Bay Realty Ltd. Brokerage
- Frank & Helen Morneau
- Jeff Neil
- Greg Norman - Norman’s Garden Gallery
- Cam Robertson - Robertson Yacht Insurance
- Howard Robinson - Robinson Pontiac
- Gord Smellie - Stone Tree Inc.
- Robert Smith - The Smith Group
- John Swick - Swick Bauman Insurance
- David Wilcox - Wilcox Law Office - Barrister
- Nolin Zucchet - Investors Group
Thunder Beach Tri-A-Try
In Summer 2009 the Herold-Miller family hosted the Thunder Beach Tri-A-Try which had overwhelming success with approximately 50 kids from the beach participating.
Due to the popularity of the event and the fun had by all we will be hosting the event again in Summer 2010. So tell your kids to practice their swimming, cycling & running and keep your eyes posted for signs around the beach a few weeks prior to the event in order to get themselves signed up.
Sunday August 8th; 9 am til 1pm.
Will be open to Thunder Beach Association MEMBERS only. There will be categories for boys & girls ages 4 to 16.
Course lengths will be different based on each age category and loosely based on Ont. Triathlon Assoc distances.
Will be open to Thunder Beach Association MEMBERS only.
There will be a small registration fee in order to cover costs of running the event. Proceeds from the event will all go to the TBA.
There will be freezies for ALL participants and medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for boys and girls in each age category.
Please note it will be mandatory that one parent/guardian volunteer to help with various aspects of the event for every 1 to 3 children participating.
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the beach in a few months time.
- Kristi Herold-Miller
Cottages For Rent
- Thunder Beach - East Beach Road - Lakefront – 3 bedroom Cottage for Rent for July or August. For details call 416-931-4636 or email - equicap[at]sympatico.ca
- Attractive, comfortable, 3-bedroom cottage, fully equipped, beach access, available July 2010. Please call 416 928-1308.
The end of the August Dinner Event???
Now that I have your attention... there is the real possibility that there will be no August event this year – simply due to the lack of volunteers to take the lead in organizing the event.
For all of you that have enjoyed attending one of the many fabulous August dinner events – we are hoping that 1 or more of you will come forward and volunteer to plan this event for 2010.
If you’re a bit leery of what’s involved, Linda Rudics has a well organized list of what needs to be done, contacts and resources.
There are some people who are willing to help out with decorations and themes...but just not quite ready to take the lead in organizing the entire event. So...who’s ready to help out this year?
One of the many reasons we all love “the beach” so much, is the sense of community and stewardship much of it created through the various social events. So here’s hoping we can keep the tradition going. If you are willing to help out – please contact Linda Rudics or Trudy Richard.
...to Jancsi and Holly. Their son, Zander Harrison Rudics, was born on November 19 2009. This is the first grandchild for John and Linda Rudics.
LaBine, Florence (Skip)
Peacefully at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre on December 8, 2009 in her 87th year. Predeceased by her loving husband Joseph. Loving mother of Gilbert, Suzanne and Flo. Dear Nana of Tiffany (Jason), Alexander, Jackie, Joe and Ben. Very Special Great Nana to Ellis. Her wonderful spirit will live on in the hearts and memories of all those she touched.
NOAKES, Jean Helen (nee Lemon)
At the age of 91 on December 8, 2009 and predeceased by her dearly beloved husband, Charlie. Jean and Charlie spent many wonderful years as cottagers at Thunder Bay Beach. Jean is survived by her children: Gloria (Jerry Hugo), Peter (Katrina), Robert and Judy (Cameron Gardner), her 15 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.